-Mobile continuation from Xanga blog PinkyGuerrero at PinkyGuerrero, this blog is Pinky, ongoing continuation at blogs Janika & Basically Clueless & PinkFeldspar, in that order.
-Most of the graphics and vids click to sources.
-Personal blog for Janika Banks.
 photo README2.gif

Translate

Friday, September 21, 2018

moldy tech

click for more fails

The worst facepalm this week was figuring out the reason we got such a great deal on a networkable wireless printer is because the setup finalization site is no longer supported. So we dragged the ancient printer back out of the basement to manually scan and print something I was hoping I could just send over from a pic on my phone. Over an hour on something so simple.

The reason was also simple. There is no way I'm texting a pic of my driver's license to a mobile phone of someone I don't know just because he's a banker, because when I look up the phone it's listed as his wife's phone and I have no clue if everything in their folders automatically loads to their own cloud.

Stuff like that.

I told @bonenado if we're going to be that relaxed about things now, I may as well text a photo of my driver's license to the Jehovah Witness next time they pull up in my drive, too. What is even the point of personal data if all I have to do is plug a mobile phone number into a search bar and I can see how long my banker has been a shriner and everyone he's networked with?

Oddly, plugging my own phone number into a search bar doesn't bring up any info on me at all. I know how to do that. I'm very surprised a banker casually floats people's personal info intended for banking files over his own personal family owned mobile phone.

Just saying.

For some reason, mulling back over all that in the shower this morning kicked off a memory of my dad thinking he was outsmarting 'the system' by buying the biggest cheapest bag of potatoes he could find. I was all ~ew~ aren't they rotten, and he was all yeah but you still get good ones and look how cheap they are, and I was all by the time you throw out the rotten ones and figure up the cost per pound of what you have left, it's probably the same as a smaller bag of more expensive but still all good potatoes. And naturally, he tested this over a summer and discovered that really is the case, almost to the cent.

I figured that one out years ago. You don't get 'better' buying 'cheap'. There's always a catch.

Like no site support. >=l

So the realtor asked us today at closing if we were buying the undeveloped lot across the street to prevent other buyers, and I said Well, it may seem a bit luxurious to buy a lot just to keep the beautiful view, but we've been thinking about it for years.

So, wait for the head spin, we hauled a broken scanner printer out over purchasing a lot that had nearly quadrupled in price since we moved here.

Because that's the way we roll in this house.